Closed this Saturday December 10th for Provincial Championships!
The revised schedule is out new classes this Tuesday at 7pm for junior advanced BJJ
The Club will be Closed Labour day weekend Friday September 2nd – Monday September 5th Regular schedule resumes Tuesday September 6th
Working parents struggle mightily with the issue of how best to deal with that time after school lets out but before they get home from work. After school programs are a popular method for taking care of kids during the hours of 3 – 6 pm but sometimes these programs amount to little more than herding kids into a big room and making sure no fights break out. Handling this grey area of the day effectively can go a long way toward setting your child on the right path so it’s imperative to get them into a something like a martial arts-based after school program at the MAT center.
The Difference Between Adequate and Great After School Programs
After school program directors basically have two ways of looking at the kids in their care. They can see them as problems that need to be handled or as valuable resources to be nurtured and developed. Kids are not unaware of the signals adults send with their actions. If they feel they’re being baby-sat they’re going to rebel and little good will come from the program. If, however, they feel engaged and paid attention to they’re likely to respond in productive and surprising ways.
Here are the 5 things we believe separate professional after school programs from the rest.
- The best programs devise activities for the young people that emphasize cooperation and developing strong, mutually beneficial relationships with adults and other kids.
- The best programs identify your child’s strengths and then take the time to devise ways to develop those strengths.
- A great after school program will provide a platform for youngsters to develop and demonstrate leadership skills whether through games or real world activities.
- They teach young people the value of conflict resolution and how to diffuse potential conflicts by finding and cultivating common interests.
- They help your child develop their own autonomous personality without doing so at the expense of others in the group.
Kids, even hard to reach teenagers, never really stop learning whether they’re in the classroom, in after school programs or on the street. The goal is to make sure they’re learning things that will help them later in life and not learning things that could see them wind up in jail. The fact is, all kids want positive experiences. They only become jaded and disinterested when they think they’re being misled or poorly led or that the adults in their life don’t care about them.
Properly nurtured young people are the ones who will build tomorrow’s world. Studies have shown that kids who are left to fend for themselves or are placed in what amount to little more than babysitting situations are far more likely to drink, do drugs, smoke, engage in risky sexual behavior and have run-ins with the law. So when you’re selecting after school programs for your kids, whether it’s a martial arts program or something else, it’s crucial to find one that will recognize his or her special gifts and encourage them through creative activities and proper guidance.
Kids need supervision. Especially tweens who are anxious to get a taste of adult life anyway they can. A day camp can be a lifesaver if you have kids going through this often difficult phase. They provide structure and supervision, but more than that they provide a positive, supportive environment where your son or daughter can be with other kids their age, learn valuable lessons and have fun.
Kids who join our martial arts day camp in Richmond Hill gain new experience, learn new skills and are able to cultivate new interests. They grow in ways they never would if left to their own devices and they learn lessons about responsibility, honesty and integrity: all characteristics that will serve them well going forward. Best of all, your child doesn’t need to have any previous martial arts experience to enjoy and benefit from our martial arts camp activities.
The MAT Centre Day Camp in Richmond Hill
While the emphasis is always on fun at our camps, kids also learn that martial arts can provide a useful blueprint for dealing with a complex and confusing world. Some who are resistant to input from other authority figures often respond positively to the guidance of a martial arts instructor, though all kids can benefit from what our camp has to offer them in the areas of:
- Listening Skills – Most kids could use at least some improvement in the area of listening while others could use a lot. In our camp they’re taught to value and cultivate this important skill by being shown how effective listening can make them better martial artists.
- Improved Focus – Our camps teach kids of all ages practical ways to clear their minds and focus on the task at hand. This ability is fundamental to martial arts, but also fundamental to the development of effective problem solving skills later in life.
- Increased Self-Esteem – One of the most gratifying aspects of running a martial arts day camp is watching shy kids come out of their shell and kids with low self-esteem grow in confidence day by day. If this were the job’s only reward it would be enough.
- Increased Self Control – An ability to remain within yourself regardless of what is going on around you is an invaluable tool for any person to have. Martial arts training received at our camp can help instil a level of discipline and self control in your child that will pay dividends in all aspects of their lives for years to come.
Everyone wants the best for their kids but the best way to get them off on the right foot in life is not always obvious. The MTA Centre’s martial arts day camp in Richmond Hill is a proven way to help your child acquire the skills they’ll need to set themselves on the road to a prosperous future. Peace of mind – born of the knowledge that your kids are surrounded by an ironclad support system designed to help foster goals, nurture potential and have fun – will be your reward. Consider signing your child up today.
Your child loves martial arts. We love martial arts! Your child is having a birthday soon. We love birthdays! You’re fresh out of birthday party ideas. We’re overflowing with birthday party ideas!
While you may not suspect it, the fact is the staff at the Martial Arts Training Centre are a fun loving group who are constantly thinking of new and innovative ways to integrate study of the martial arts into everyday life. When we first began offering kids birthday parties with a martial arts theme no one was sure what the response would be. Well, it’s turned out to be tremendous and today we offer a growing variety of birthday party themes that entertain, amaze and reinforce key concepts of the techniques and disciplines we teach.
Kids Birthday Parties in Richmond Hill by the M.A.T.C.
When it comes to choosing a martial arts related theme for kids birthday parties the possibilities are nearly endless. Here are just a few ideas that we suggest to our interested clients:
- The Bruce Lee Party – Whether you prefer the legendary martial artist’s movies or can’t get enough of Kato from old Green Hornet reruns, a Bruce Lee party is guaranteed to be a hit. Slowed down clips of the master at work can be shown so the kids can see the intensity and precision of his moves in detail. Follow that up with a discussion of his technique and then have some of the more advanced kids try a demonstration. You can also have a drawing and giveaway copies of his movies and TV work.
- TMNT Party – Any discussion of a fun, martial arts related kids birthday party would be incomplete without including Leonardo, Michelangelo, Rafael and Donatello in the mix. Kids love this raggedy band of sewer dwelling ninjas. Costumes, toys, games, movies and comic books are all part of the fun when the TMNT party comes to town. Oh, and don’t forget the pizza!
- The Batman Party – Lest anyone forget, underneath the costume, the cape and the cowl beats the heart of an uber-accomplished martial artist who regularly utilizes a mixture of Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, Karate, Boxing and Jujitsu. Batman posters, movie clips, costumes depicting his major foes and demonstrations of some of his more iconic moves are all part of the mix when the Batman party gets underway.
- The Matrix Party – Nothing says 21st century and martial arts like the Matrix. Whether it’s Trinity’s patented Double Eagle kick or Neo’s effortless mastery of Jujitsu, the Matrix is chock full of martial arts fun from the opening scene onward. A party theme for the older kids this one will leave everyone wondering “What is the Matrix?”
Give the Martial Arts Training Centre a call and find out about our full range of fantastically fun martial-arts-themed kids birthday parties in Richmond Hill. Whether you’re raising a neo-ninja, budding Bruce Lee or super fan of Jackie Chan we’ll create a party for you right here in Richmond Hill that will bring smiles all around and get the cameras clicking in a way no other party has done before.
Visit us on Google+
Many people take karate classes for the practical self-defence knowledge a skilled instructor can impart. Many are also interested in the mental and physical discipline they hope to gain from immersing themselves in this most well-known of the martial arts. While still others are fascinated by the ancient and honourable traditions and rituals surrounding historic modes of combat and wish to know more. Whatever the reason you have decided to sign up for karate lessons you’ll want to get the most you possibly can out of the experience.
Walking the Whole Path – Getting the Most From Your Karate Lessons
The following are our top five tips for making the most of your experience at the dojo.
- Be Patient – Research has revealed that the #1 reason adults drop out of karate, kickboxing or any other martial arts classes is because they feel they’re not learning enough, fast enough. They want to be a black belt by dinner time. But learning karate is not an event, it’s a process and like any martial art, karate requires patience. Without it there would be no karate masters. So take a deep breath, relax and enjoy.
- Check Your Ego – True masters of the martial arts are those who have cultivated their spiritual as well as physical side. There is no room for gaudy displays of bravado or bruised egos in karate training. If you succeed it’s because you have a good teacher. If you make a mistake it’s because you’re like everyone else; human. Learn from it and move on.
- Turn Off Your Phone – Better yet, leave it in the locker. Distractions are a major reason people find themselves unable to grasp the concepts being transmitted by the instructor. If you’re talking on the phone or texting your mind will not be available to digest the principles being taught. Karate lessons are not the same as a basic gym workout. With karate, kickboxing or any other martial art you need to be both physically and mentally available.
- Cultivate Discipline – Mastering any art form or craft requires discipline, which amounts to a commitment to learning the rules and techniques of a system. Discipline is also about acceptance: accepting your role as the student, accepting that progress takes time.
- Leave Your Worries Behind – Be only where you are: in front of the instructor, with your fellow beginners, in the dojo on whatever day it is. By leaving the personal and professional concerns of the outside world at the door, you’ll be open to the people around you and the lessons being conveyed.
If it seems like most of these tips entail some form of letting go, it’s because they do. As Lao Tzu once said: “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” Letting go of expectations, embracing the process, being present in the dojo for the lesson at hand and avoiding distractions will allow you to make the most of your karate lessons and enjoy the experience in all its wonder.
Visit us on Google+
Many people wish that they were fitter but find it hard to motivate themselves to actually do something about it. With our kickboxing and karate classes, you can literally kick start your quest for a better body, and when you join our classes you will always have someone there to ensure your motivation does not wane. Read on to find out more reasons why we think our martial arts classes are your best option.
How Our Kickboxing Training is More Effective
The reasons that we, and many other people, feel that it is much better to participate in regular martial arts training than it is to join a gym – whether as a child in before and after school programs or as an adult at weekly karate classes – are as follows:
- Group Training Is More Fun – Sitting on a stationary cycle or rowing machine at the local gym can be very boring but when you join our classes, you will be exercising with many other likeminded individuals. As both children’s summer camp specialists and fully qualified adult trainers, we know exactly how to put together classes that are both enjoyable and instructional.
- You Will Be Learning New Skills – Instead of simply working on your aerobic fitness levels and physical strength in a sterile atmosphere, you will be achieving these two aims in a dynamic environment where you will also be learning a great martial art too. It is much easier to get fit as a side effect of a fun activity than it is by effort alone.
- Our Classes Are Cost Effective – One way to ensure you stay motivated in the gym is to hire a personal trainer but this is too expensive for many people. Our kickboxing classes are a far more economical option and because each one is led by a motivated professional, you will stay motivated too.
Thousands of People Can’t Be Wrong
There are literally thousands of adults who attend kickboxing classes at our Richmond Hill centre and in other locations across Canada. If you include kids that attend annual martial arts summer camp, before and after school programs, and the children who participate in activities at MMA-themed kids birthday parties, there could be hundreds of thousands of people involved. It’s time for you to find out what they have already discovered by joining a local class as soon as possible!
Visit us on Google+